In this dreadful world, nothing is safe. And most often, no one cares for others. This is not an exception in the food industry too. The food producers and the food sellers may not follow the safety laws at times. But, as a buyer, we can handle the same. Once a food product is purchased, the safety of the food becomes the buyer’s responsibility. While shopping the food supplies, intense care should be taken from the point of purchase to the storage point in one’s home. All people are subjected to food poisoning. But there are some group of people who are more subjected to the same. It includes small children, elderly group of people, pregnant women and anyone with the poor immune system. So, special care should be taken while buying, storing and preparing the food.
When a person goes on for shopping, food should be carefully chosen. It is not advised to buy food stuffs like the below:
- Damaged (dented or leaking) cans or tins or containers
- Eggs that are cracked or looks weird
- Products that are not packed in a perfect way (damaged packing)
- Chilled or frozen food that are kept outside without being kept inside the freezer
- Readymade foods (ready to eat food stuffs) that are sold without proper coverage
Hints for shopping
Before purchasing the product, the dates should be checked on the perishable products. One should understand the difference between the use by dates and the best before dates. The use by date represent the date within which the particular food should be consumed. Moreover, that particular food should not be consumed after that use by date. The before date represent the date up to which the food will be in its best quality. It can be given for sale after this date. There are other simple hints that revolve around the food safety. They are:
- It is advised to take up the frozen or the chilled food at the end of shopping. It is necessary to take it home quickly too.
- Any liquid leaking from the meat, chicken and fish should be concealed and packed properly.
- While handling the raw food stuffs, separate tongs should be used to prevent any spoilage.
When the food and the food supplies are properly stored, the food storage is automatically reduced. This is one of the way by which the food can be prevented from wastage. Shopping is also a type of an art that is done with several planning. One can find more information here to know better options for shopping in an efficient way.